The event includes the launch of $1 million Jazz
Foundation emergency fund for Louisiana musicians' relief after flooding;
performers include John Mayer Trio, Robert Cray, Jon Batiste and Robert
Dr. John to be Honored at the Jazz Foundation of America's A Great Night in Harlem,
October 27, at the Apollo Theater.
Also appearing: Robert Randolph, Robert Cray, The John Mayer Trio and Bruce Willis.
Dr. John will receive the Hank Jones Award.
VIP Experiences and VIP Upgrades are now available in select cities for
the upcoming Dr. John tour! "The Spirit of Satch" VIP Experiences include
soundcheck access; a pre-show reception; limited edition signed tour
poster; commemorative VIP laminate, and a post-show Meet and Greet with
Dr. John. Experiences that include concert admission are available for
shows on June 7, 2016, at City Winery in New York, NY; and on June 8,
2016, at Bergen PAC in Englewood, NJ.
Current ticketholders for the following shows may also upgrade their
existing tickets to include "The Spirit of Satch VIP Experience:
June 2, 2016 at Paramount Hudson Valley in Peekskill, NY
June 3, 2016 at Valley Forge Casino in King of Prussia, PA
June 4, 2016 at Turning Stone Resort in Verona, PA
June 7, 2016 at City Winery in New York, NY June 8, 2016 at Bergen PAC in
Dr. John is heartbroken at the loss of his very dear friend Allen Toussaint.
(Photo Courtesy of Dr. John)
Dr. John & The Nite Trippers Playing the First Pilgrimage Music Fest
Dr. John & The Nite Trippers will be performing at the inaugural
Pilgrimage Music & Cultural Festival in Franklin, Tenn. on Sept. 26. The
festival's name means to make a journey, and it will host music that comes
from the legendary Gold Record Road from New Orleans through the
Mississippi Delta to Memphis and Nashville.
The site features rolling hills and a natural ampitheater, and plans to
offer a weekend of music and food for its first year. Tickets are now
Dr. John Performs "What a Wonderful World" at the Songwriter's Hall of Fame Ceremony
"The Towering Song award is given to a different classic each year, and
this year’s was Bob Thiele and George David Weiss’ “What a Wonderful
World,” made famous by Louis Armstrong. The version played tonight by Dr.
John was a New Orleans’ed-up take that was monstrously funky in that was
only the Doctor can deliver. He moved slowly to the piano, aided by two
feather and bangle-bedecked canes, laying down a driving groove that made
the song forget its introspective mood and party, embellishing the end
with a jazzy, soulful piano solo. It was probably the night’s best musical
Full article here...
Dr. John Wins Jazz FM Blues Artist of the Year Award!
"New Orleans icon and rock and roll hall of famer Dr. John was recognized
with the Blues Artist Of The Year Award. The six-time Grammy Award winner
is a bona fide legend whose 2014 and 2015 world tours included sold-out
shows throughout the U.S. and Europe."
- Many new featured press articles available on the Press page
- Rave reviews for Spirit of Satch, visit the press page.
- New Orleans musical giant pays tribute to fellow Crescent City legend Louis Armstrong with star-studded, divinely-inspired new tribute disc
- Dr John to appear on Top Chef Weds. Nov. 20th!
Photo/Article courtesy of TV Guide ®
- 2013 Tour dates announced! Visit the tour page for more.
- Locked Down is nominated for Best Blues Album at the 55th Annual Grammy Awards!
- Fall Tour Announced with Blind Boys of Alabama
- "Spirituals to Funk" features Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Inductee Dr. John and 5-time Grammy® Award Winners, The Blind Boys of Alabama. Under Dr. John’s musical direction, the world premiere of "Spirituals to Funk" represents the first-ever touring partnership between two icons of American music.
A Memorial for Herman Ernest will be held on March 18th at the Greater Liberty Baptist Church in New Orleans, honoring him one year since his passing.
Dr. John BAM Retrospective, New Dan Auerbach-Produced Album 'Locked Down' This Spring on Nonesuch Records April 3rd.
It’s a pivotal year for Dr. John (a.k.a Mac Rebennack), the iconic and internationally revered musician and class of 2011 Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, who has a major three week artist-in-residency, Dr. John: Insides Out, at New York’s prestigious Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) starting March 29 and a mind-blowing new album 'Locked Down,’ produced by The Black Keys' Dan Auerbach more . . .
Dr. John returns to Brooklyn to instigate and collaborate with Mz. imani and the Rhythm Shamans for a night of Music and Mojo Making Action, to benefit SoulFire4TheGulf.
On March 6, 2011 we lost our beloved friend Herman "Roscoe" Ernest III, longtime drummer for Dr. John. Remembering Roscoe ... more
Dr. John is planning a SoulFire gathering for healing of the Gulf waters... more
- On Friday, January 28, OffBeat hosted the 2010 Best of the Beat Awards at Generations Hall for a night of music, food, and awards. more
won BEST BLUES ARTIST, SONGWRITER OF THE YEAR and Tribal took BEST BLUES ALBUM
Please add this page to your favorites and check back for news, updates and new tour announcements. Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez!
- Dr. John featured on Time Magazine's 10 Questions. Also visit Time.com for video. Download the high res image in .pdf format for this question and answer session with Dr. John.
- Dr. John and the Nite Trippers release their latest project Tribal, on August 3rd, 2010. Click here to order it now from iTunes.